Baklava or Saragli , Turkish or Greece it’s simply unbeatable dessert. We admit that it’s not one among the most healthy desserts but for sure it’s one among the tastiest one.
For the syrup :
* 2 cups of granulated sugar
* 1 1/4 cup of water
* 2 slices of orange
* 1 cinnamon stick
For the baklava/saragli :
* 250grams mixed grind nuts of your choice
* 180grams melted butter (unsalted)
* 1 packet of 470grams phyllo pastry
* Prepare the syrup by mixing the sugar and water until dissolved then add the slices of orange and cinnamon stick bring to a boil for about 5-8mins or until bubbles started to form over the syrup. Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to cool down
* Preheat oven 160degree Celsius /320F
* Grease a baking tray 8×8 inches or any medium baking tray that you have will do the job
* Start by opening the phyllo pastry you need to be quite quick so that it doesn’t dry out
* Line 1 sheet on the kitchen counter and drizzle with melted butter then immediately cover it with another sheet and once again drizzle with melted butter
* Spread the mixed nuts all over the sheet the place two wooden skewers in the middle then fold the sheets into half making the skewers to come to the middle now press a bit where the skewers are and start rolling a bit tightly till the end
* Press both end together toward the middles to create folds in the phyllo pastry then place it in the baking tray
* Continue the same process for the rest of the phyllo and nuts
* Once the baking tray is filled drizzle the rest of the melted butter over the unbaked baklava then with a very sharp knife cut them into desired length and directly place inside the oven
* Bake for around 50-60mins
* Now most important once the baklava has turned out into a beautiful golden color take it out and immediately drizzle the cold syrup over the hot baklava rolls
* Allow them to soak up the syrup for at least 2-3 hours
* Spring with green pistachios and serve.
So finally we are really happy to see some growth in our new house garden well we haven’t moved there yet still in our old appartement but still it feels nice to see finally good things are coming out of that soil.
Here are the mint leaves which we picked there last Saturday. Can’t wait to add this to my recipes and green tea 🍵
The following recipe is a vegetable pickle which originates From my native country, the Island of Mauritian. This is a hit for almost every main course served in Mauritius. The following one is my mother’s authentic recipe. The only change I brought to it is the olive oil. But if you want to use sunflower oil or any vegetable oil you are free to. It is very easy to prepare and taste so good.
Half a cabbage shreaded
2 big or 3 medium carrots peeled and julienned
200grms green bean sliced thinly
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 & 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
1/2 cup of extra Virgin olive oil, or grape seed oil ( or any vegetable oil you have on hand)
Green chillis cut into small pieces (optional)
1. Fill a cooking pot with water and some salt and put on high heat allow to boil.
2. Once the water is boiling turn off the heat and throw In the veggies.
3. Let the veggies soak in the hot water for 2-3mins. Then immediately after that transfer them in a sieve and let cold tap water run over them to stop the cooking process.
4. Cover a large tray with a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze with your hand little by little all the water from the veggies and spread them on the tray over the kitchen towel. Allow them to completely dry out for at least 3 hours.
5. After 3 hours,in another bowl( preferably a steel one so that it does not stain when adding turmeric) add turmeric, mustard, garlic and oil. Mix Well and throw in the veggies and keep on mixing by adding salt at the same time to taste.
6. Add the green chillis and mix well.
7. Keep In the refrigerator in an airtight container.
8. This pickle can be eaten on bread, with rice dishes, flat bread, naan etc etc.
Homemade guacamole is healthier than the one you bought. You Know that you are adding only fresh Ingredients without any preservatives. On top of that It is so easy to make, requires little Ingredients. The key to a creamy guacamole is that The avocado should be ripe. Here I am not adding tomatoes but If you want feel free to add it
2 ripe avocados
A bunch ( around 10 stems with leaves) of cilantro.Note that If you don’t like cilantro just leave it.
3-4 green onions
2 green chillis
Salt to taste
Juice of half a lemon
1. Remove skin of avocados and mashed and immediately add in lemon juice
2. Chopped cilantro very finely
3. Chopped green onion very finely
4. Deseed chillis and chopped finely
5. Mix all Ingredients together, seasoned well with salt and pepper. You are ready to serve.