This recipe is the Turkish easter bread , it’s my way of doing it since I have brought some changes to it. Like for example many original recipe calls for ground mahlep or mahlepi but here Ive used dry fruits peel and black currants. The rest is mostly The same. Its so delicious fills your home with delicious aroma.
250grms sifted all purpose flour
1 packet of instant dry yeast
50grms melted butter
1 egg+ 1 yolk for glazing
2 tbsp dry fruits peels and black currants
2 tbsp milk powder( optional)
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/4 cup sugar.
1. In a large bowl add milk sprinkle yeast over with some sugar allow to sit for 2-3mins
2. Add The rest of Ingredients.
3. Mix everything together to form a very soft dough, If you find that the mixture is not coming together then add a little bit of lukewarm milk.
4. Knead the dough for 3-5mins.
5. Put back into the bowl allow brush with some oil. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for one hour or until double in size.
6. Transfer to your counter surface. Cut dough into 3 parts.
7. Roll into 3 strings Seal the top together and braid the strings, then Seal the end.
8. Transfer to your baking tray line up with parchment paper
9. Allow to proof for another 45mins
10. In the meantime preheat oven 180°C /350°F
11. Once dough has risen brush with the egg yolk
12. Bake for 20-25mins
13. Once removed from the oven allow to cool down 20mins before slicing.
14. Serve with butter , jam or honey
15. Or drizzle some vanilla glaze.
Homemade orange marmalade is very easy to make, there are only a few rules to get the best result. There are recipe out there which really complicate lives. This one is a very easy peasy. Now many say that you can make good marmalade with only some kind of oranges like for example seville orange. What if on The day you decide to make the marmalade you don’t find seville orange? Or the kind of orange your recipe calls for. Does this mean that you won’t do it? According To me We can do marmalade with any kind of orange We have We can even mix half tangerine half orange. Just like here I am using kumquats and orange. To have a succesful rresult which Will last for a longer time you need to wash your jar in hot water then steralise in oven 120°c. It should be done when The marmalade is about To get ready so that when you fill it, it should still be quite hot. I am doing a small batch especially for beginners Who never prepare marmalade . Ive cut on sugar in this recipe but it still taste great, If you want To add more sugar you can.
Juice of 7 oranges or 2 cups
150grms white sugar
If you like flavouring you can add vanilla, Orange or any essence you want.
1. Wash oranges and kumquats well
2. Cut kumquats into four and remove seeds
3. In one of The oranges remove the skin , The white layer underneath should be remove with a Sharp knife cut into fine strips.
4. Extract the juice of the oranges.
5. In a heavy bottom saucepan combine all Ingredients together and place in refrigerator for at least 4hours or overnight.
6. Remove the saucepan allow to come at room temperature and place over medium heat. Remember that marmalade should Cook slowly do not rush you will end up with a thick caramelised result. In the meantime steralise your jar and place à metal lid or a bowl in fridge.
7. Let cook for 20-30mins, when it starts to thicken turn on high stirring regularly let it comes a boil.The colour Will darken a bit.
8. Testing time. Pour a little bit on The cold lid run your finger through it to cut it apart. If the marmalade does not come together as shown in picture then It is ready. If it fill the gap then you must cook it again for 2-3mins reducing The heat. At this point If you keep on cooking without paying attention it Will burn.
9. Pour hot marmalade in steralise jar cover tightly . Flip the jar upside down.
10. Open only after 24hours. Serve with toast, you can also put in your barbecue sauce, brush over your grill meat. Serve with crumpets, crêpes etc.
Ive made pizza at home ever since I was in college. With years passed I tried many recipes but I never got the result like We get in restaurant using the tradition wood and stone toven but with time Ive started To understand that before baking the pizza you should preheat your oven To very high temperature like 250°C for at least 45mins with a pizza stone or tray inside then when you bake it you reduce the Heat To 200°C then you Will get the closest result well crisp bottom fluffy inside . For me the best result is using half white bread flour and half all purpose flour. Now of course you can use only all purpose flour
250grms all purpose flour
250grms bread flour
2 packet of instant yeast
1 cup. Lukewarm milk
1/4 cup lukewarm water
4 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1. Sift both flours together with salt
2. In a large bowl add In water, milk sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 5mins
3. Add in olive oil followed by flour. Mix everything together. Note that depending on flours you might need a little more lukewarm water but be careful do not add too much.
4. Transfer the mixture To your counter surface and knead for a good 10mins until dough is soft and elastic.
5. Put the dough into a greased bowl cover with a clean kitchen towel allow To rise for one hour or until dough double in size.
6. I use this amount of dough to make two large pizzas.
7. Once dough has risen deflate cut into two. Using fine semolina on your counter stretch the dough into a round shape with your hands.
8. Start To put your tomato sauce and your mozzarella with any topping you want
9. Keep In a warm place. In the meantime preheat oven 250°C with an inverted tray or pizza stone inside for at least 30mins
10. Flip the pizza over the hot tray, reduce Heat To 200-190°C bake for 15-20mins
11. Here I am serving it with my homemade pizza oil and homemade Green chilli paste. Note that the tomato sauce I used is also homemade.
Homemade spicy pizza oil is way better than the commercial one. It taste better and the most important thing is that you can use an organic oil to prepare it, which is best for your health. It is so easy to make. Requires only a handful of Ingredients .
1 1/4cup organic sunflower oil
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp of dry herbe de provence
1/4 tsp of dry oregano leaves
A pinch of dry thyme
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
10 whole black pepper grain
2 dry red chilli broken into half
1. Heat oil In a pan
2. Add in the two cloves of garlic and fry for 2mins
3. Remove from heat allow To cool down a little bit around 2-3mins then add In the rest of the Ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon for the oil to infuse the flavour
4. Allow to cool down to room temperature and transfer In a bottle or a jar. Remember to put every bit of the spices in your bottle or jar.
5. Serve over hot pizza, and can also be brushed over the pizza dough before baking to give more flavours.
Today I’m sharing a Mauritian salsa recipe made with homemade lemon preserved ( I Will share the lemon preserved recipe in another post). This salsa is bitter sweet which goes so well with fish menu. The best thing is that it is so easy and yet so delicious
2 preserved lemons
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 green chilli
salt to taste
blend everything together and serve
250grms self raising flour
200grms butter at room temperature
1/4 cup sourcream
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
For the custard filling
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 small can thick nestle cream or 1 cup whipped double cream
1 cup Fresh coconut toasted
1. Grease a 24cm cake mould Line with parchment paper
2. Preheat oven 180°C
3. In a bowl add butter and whisk for 1 min with an electric mixer
4. Then add sugar and cream for 5-7mins until light and fluffy
5. Add in eggs one by one continue creaming
6. Add buttercream, vanilla and the fresh grated coconut mix everything well
7. Now add in flour in two batches mixing on low speed
8. Transfer the batter into the mould and bake for around 40mins or while pricking with a knife In the Middle it should come out clean.
9. Transfer the cake on a cooling rack and start preparing the pastry cream
10. PASTRY CREAM: In a saucepan heat coconut milk with vanilla essence
11. In a bowl cream egg yolks sugar and cornstarch
12. When the milk comes to boiling point remove from heat
13. Add a little to the egg mixture to temper it whisking quickly
14. Then add the rest of the milk whisking everything together.
15. Transfer the mixture to the saucepan. Cook whisking constantly until the cream thicken .
16. Remove from the saucepan transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic film touching the surface of the cream to prevent the formation of a skin. Allow to cool.
17. Put the canned nestle cream In the fridge for 10mins
18. Cut the cake into two layers
19. Once the pastry cream has cool down add In the cold nestle cream and whisk with an electric mixer until pastry cream is smooth
20. Now add half of the cream in one layer sprinkle some toasted coconut
21. Cover with the other layer
22. Add the rest of the cream on top smooth out with a spatula then sprinkle the rest of the coconut. Let sit for at least 30mins before serving.