During the Ramadan period one of the most famous food In my native country the Island of Mauritius is the ultimate mauritian naan. There are so many sellers which came to sell to people from door to door, we always eat a piece of it for Imsak(sehri). Here In Europe we get large varieties of naan but not our Mauritius one, especially from where we live. This has motivated me to start making my own. Therefore, I came up with a recipe which taste much like the origin one.
375grms white bread flour
375grms plain white flour
3 tbsp active dry yeast
30ml lukewarm milk
75grms melted butter
25grms melted clarified butter(ghee)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Dry seeds to spread on top
Optional: mince meat filling for keema naan
Grated cheese for cheese naan( preferably cheddar)
1. In a large bowl combine the two flours.
2. Add In salt and sugar. Mix Well
3. Add In yeast mix well
4. Make a Well In the center, add In melted butter, ghee, egg and milk.
5. Combine everything together if you feel that some more liquid is needed then add
some warm water very little at a time, so that you do not end up with a sticky dough.
6. Transfer the dough to your counter surface and knead for a good 10-12mins
7. You should end up with a soft ball.
8. Greased a bowl and transfer The dough .
9. Cover with a clean kitchen towel allow to rest In a warm place until double In size.
10. Once double In size divide into 4 equal parts
11. Roll each one into a rectangular shape and spread some room temperature butter all over
12. Roll into a rope and make a spiral shape.
13. Note that for cheese or keema naan , once you spread the butter , sprinkle with cheese or
meat before rolling.
14. Allow to rise for further 30mins then brush with eggwash( 1 egg yolk with some milk)
sprinkle sesame seeds poppyseeds etc.
15. Bake In preheated oven 200°c for 20mins.
16. Once out of the oven brush with melted butter and serve.
A Twist on The Classic banana bread , ” banana and dates bread with hazelnut “. This bread has always been a part of our morning dishes during Ramadan . It is very easy and quick to make. Its moist and very flavourful. Note that to achieve best result always take overripe bananas. This recipe is reduced In sugar because dates and bananas are already very sweet.
250grms plain flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
125grms butter at room temperature
Some chopped hazelnut
10dates chopped into small pieces
3 riped bananas mashed
1. Preheat oven 175°c
2. In a bowl sift In flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. In another bowl cream butter and sugar together until mixture whitened
3. Add In eggs and continue creaming until Well combined
4. Add In banana and dates, mix together
5. Add In flour and finally the chopped hazelnut . Mix until just combine . Do not
7. Pour In a greased tin sprinkle with some sesame seeds and bake for around 45-
Batbout is a moroccan bread which is cooked on The stove. It is very easy to prepare and there are so many different recipes out there. Some people make small batbout then opening it like a pocket and fill with any desired fillings like for example chicken , tuna fish, etc . The following recipe is a basic one. Then from this one you can makes different kind of batbout and fillings.
150grms plain flour
100grms fine semolina
1 Level tbsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
100grms melted butter
Lukewarm water to make a non sticky dough
1. In a bowl combine flour, semolina, salt and sugar.
2. Add In the yeast and combine
3. Add In the melted butter and mix Well
4. Now gradually add In the lukewarm water little by little until everything comes
together In a soft but non sticky dough.
5. Transfer the dough on your counter surface knead for at least 10mins.
6. Transfer back In the bowl brush the surface with some water, cover with a kitchen
towel , allow to rise In a warm place at least one hour.
7. After one hour has elapsed, spread some semolina on your counter surface. Divide
the dough into 2 balls.
8. Using a rolling pin roll dough two sides over the semolina around 1/2 inch thick.
9. Cover ans allow to rise again for at least 20mins.
10. Heat a skillet , Cook the batbout 4-5mins on each sides .
11. Serve with butter, jam, honey, etc. Or it can Also accompany your savory dishes.
Homemade strawberry jam
500grms fresh strawberry
1 tbsp lemon juice
50grms almond powder
2-3 tbsp water
Pinch of salt
Fresh strawberries cut into slices
1. In a saucepan add In all Ingredients for strawberry jam and allow to simmer on
medium heat. Once mixture thicken, becomes darker In colour then the jam is ready.
2. In a bowl add In flour, almond powder and salt. Mix together. Add In butter and rub In
until everything combine and no butter lumps remained. Add In water and Mix into a
3. Allow to rest for 20mins.
4. Grease a 24cm tart mould . Preheat oven 180°c.
5. Roll 3/4 of the dough 1/2 inch thick and cover The pan. Spread over The jam and top
with The sliced strawberries and sprinkle 1 tbsp confectionner sugar
6. Roll out The remaining dough cut into long strips and cover The tart. Brush with egg
7. Bake for 20mins.
8. Serve with tea .
Savory cake is so popular during parties. There are so many variations of them but my favorite is red pepper onion and cheese savory cake. Here is my version of doing it.
1 1/2 cup cake flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 egg beaten
75g melted butter
1/2 cup cheese of your choice
1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped and saute with 1 small chopped onion in 1 tbsp olive oil.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
Some black pepper
1. Grease a cake tin 25cm with butter and sprinkle with flour
2. Preheat oven 180°c
3. In a bowl mix milk, yogurt, melted butter, salt, pepper, egg.
4. Throw in the pepper,onion, paprika, Cheese. Mix well
5. Add in flour just mix until just combine. Do not overmix
6. Pour into the prepared mould and bake for 30-40mins
7. Serve as appetiser or during brunch
Homemade guacamole is healthier than the one you bought. You Know that you are adding only fresh Ingredients without any preservatives. On top of that It is so easy to make, requires little Ingredients. The key to a creamy guacamole is that The avocado should be ripe. Here I am not adding tomatoes but If you want feel free to add it
2 ripe avocados
A bunch ( around 10 stems with leaves) of cilantro.Note that If you don’t like cilantro just leave it.
3-4 green onions
2 green chillis
Salt to taste
Juice of half a lemon
1. Remove skin of avocados and mashed and immediately add in lemon juice
2. Chopped cilantro very finely
3. Chopped green onion very finely
4. Deseed chillis and chopped finely
5. Mix all Ingredients together, seasoned well with salt and pepper. You are ready to serve.