Batbout is a moroccan bread which is cooked on The stove. It is very easy to prepare and there are so many different recipes out there. Some people make small batbout then opening it like a pocket and fill with any desired fillings like for example chicken , tuna fish, etc . The following recipe is a basic one. Then from this one you can makes different kind of batbout and fillings.
150grms plain flour
100grms fine semolina
1 Level tbsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
100grms melted butter
Lukewarm water to make a non sticky dough
1. In a bowl combine flour, semolina, salt and sugar.
2. Add In the yeast and combine
3. Add In the melted butter and mix Well
4. Now gradually add In the lukewarm water little by little until everything comes
together In a soft but non sticky dough.
5. Transfer the dough on your counter surface knead for at least 10mins.
6. Transfer back In the bowl brush the surface with some water, cover with a kitchen
towel , allow to rise In a warm place at least one hour.
7. After one hour has elapsed, spread some semolina on your counter surface. Divide
the dough into 2 balls.
8. Using a rolling pin roll dough two sides over the semolina around 1/2 inch thick.
9. Cover ans allow to rise again for at least 20mins.
10. Heat a skillet , Cook the batbout 4-5mins on each sides .
11. Serve with butter, jam, honey, etc. Or it can Also accompany your savory dishes.
Homemade strawberry jam
500grms fresh strawberry
1 tbsp lemon juice
50grms almond powder
2-3 tbsp water
Pinch of salt
Fresh strawberries cut into slices
1. In a saucepan add In all Ingredients for strawberry jam and allow to simmer on
medium heat. Once mixture thicken, becomes darker In colour then the jam is ready.
2. In a bowl add In flour, almond powder and salt. Mix together. Add In butter and rub In
until everything combine and no butter lumps remained. Add In water and Mix into a
3. Allow to rest for 20mins.
4. Grease a 24cm tart mould . Preheat oven 180°c.
5. Roll 3/4 of the dough 1/2 inch thick and cover The pan. Spread over The jam and top
with The sliced strawberries and sprinkle 1 tbsp confectionner sugar
6. Roll out The remaining dough cut into long strips and cover The tart. Brush with egg
7. Bake for 20mins.
8. Serve with tea .
Savory cake is so popular during parties. There are so many variations of them but my favorite is red pepper onion and cheese savory cake. Here is my version of doing it.
1 1/2 cup cake flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 egg beaten
75g melted butter
1/2 cup cheese of your choice
1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped and saute with 1 small chopped onion in 1 tbsp olive oil.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
Some black pepper
1. Grease a cake tin 25cm with butter and sprinkle with flour
2. Preheat oven 180°c
3. In a bowl mix milk, yogurt, melted butter, salt, pepper, egg.
4. Throw in the pepper,onion, paprika, Cheese. Mix well
5. Add in flour just mix until just combine. Do not overmix
6. Pour into the prepared mould and bake for 30-40mins
7. Serve as appetiser or during brunch
Homemade guacamole is healthier than the one you bought. You Know that you are adding only fresh Ingredients without any preservatives. On top of that It is so easy to make, requires little Ingredients. The key to a creamy guacamole is that The avocado should be ripe. Here I am not adding tomatoes but If you want feel free to add it
2 ripe avocados
A bunch ( around 10 stems with leaves) of cilantro.Note that If you don’t like cilantro just leave it.
3-4 green onions
2 green chillis
Salt to taste
Juice of half a lemon
1. Remove skin of avocados and mashed and immediately add in lemon juice
2. Chopped cilantro very finely
3. Chopped green onion very finely
4. Deseed chillis and chopped finely
5. Mix all Ingredients together, seasoned well with salt and pepper. You are ready to serve.
This recipe is the Turkish easter bread , it’s my way of doing it since I have brought some changes to it. Like for example many original recipe calls for ground mahlep or mahlepi but here Ive used dry fruits peel and black currants. The rest is mostly The same. Its so delicious fills your home with delicious aroma.
250grms sifted all purpose flour
1 packet of instant dry yeast
50grms melted butter
1 egg+ 1 yolk for glazing
2 tbsp dry fruits peels and black currants
2 tbsp milk powder( optional)
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/4 cup sugar.
1. In a large bowl add milk sprinkle yeast over with some sugar allow to sit for 2-3mins
2. Add The rest of Ingredients.
3. Mix everything together to form a very soft dough, If you find that the mixture is not coming together then add a little bit of lukewarm milk.
4. Knead the dough for 3-5mins.
5. Put back into the bowl allow brush with some oil. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for one hour or until double in size.
6. Transfer to your counter surface. Cut dough into 3 parts.
7. Roll into 3 strings Seal the top together and braid the strings, then Seal the end.
8. Transfer to your baking tray line up with parchment paper
9. Allow to proof for another 45mins
10. In the meantime preheat oven 180°C /350°F
11. Once dough has risen brush with the egg yolk
12. Bake for 20-25mins
13. Once removed from the oven allow to cool down 20mins before slicing.
14. Serve with butter , jam or honey
15. Or drizzle some vanilla glaze.
Homemade orange marmalade is very easy to make, there are only a few rules to get the best result. There are recipe out there which really complicate lives. This one is a very easy peasy. Now many say that you can make good marmalade with only some kind of oranges like for example seville orange. What if on The day you decide to make the marmalade you don’t find seville orange? Or the kind of orange your recipe calls for. Does this mean that you won’t do it? According To me We can do marmalade with any kind of orange We have We can even mix half tangerine half orange. Just like here I am using kumquats and orange. To have a succesful rresult which Will last for a longer time you need to wash your jar in hot water then steralise in oven 120°c. It should be done when The marmalade is about To get ready so that when you fill it, it should still be quite hot. I am doing a small batch especially for beginners Who never prepare marmalade . Ive cut on sugar in this recipe but it still taste great, If you want To add more sugar you can.
Juice of 7 oranges or 2 cups
150grms white sugar
If you like flavouring you can add vanilla, Orange or any essence you want.
1. Wash oranges and kumquats well
2. Cut kumquats into four and remove seeds
3. In one of The oranges remove the skin , The white layer underneath should be remove with a Sharp knife cut into fine strips.
4. Extract the juice of the oranges.
5. In a heavy bottom saucepan combine all Ingredients together and place in refrigerator for at least 4hours or overnight.
6. Remove the saucepan allow to come at room temperature and place over medium heat. Remember that marmalade should Cook slowly do not rush you will end up with a thick caramelised result. In the meantime steralise your jar and place à metal lid or a bowl in fridge.
7. Let cook for 20-30mins, when it starts to thicken turn on high stirring regularly let it comes a boil.The colour Will darken a bit.
8. Testing time. Pour a little bit on The cold lid run your finger through it to cut it apart. If the marmalade does not come together as shown in picture then It is ready. If it fill the gap then you must cook it again for 2-3mins reducing The heat. At this point If you keep on cooking without paying attention it Will burn.
9. Pour hot marmalade in steralise jar cover tightly . Flip the jar upside down.
10. Open only after 24hours. Serve with toast, you can also put in your barbecue sauce, brush over your grill meat. Serve with crumpets, crêpes etc.