Haleem is a soup which is made of dry beans and meat. Haleem is well known in India but also in our Mauritius Island. The following recipe Will be based on a mauritian one.
1 Lb of meat with bones cut into pieces
1 cup of lentil
1 cup of split red lentil
1 cup of split gram pulses also known as chana dhal
1 cup of fine bulgur wheat
1 big onion chopped finely
4 medium onion sliced and fried in some vegetable oil with 1 tbsp of clarified butter
3 tbsp garam masala
1 full tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
3 large tomatoes puree in blender
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
3 cardamom pods
salt and pepper
- Mix all the dry pulse except for the bulgur in a bowl wash them twice and cover them with water allowing them to soak for 2 hours at least.
- Soak the bulgur in 5 cups of water.
- Cook the meat with some salt and water either in a pressure cooker or a stew pot. Note that in a stew pot it Will take longer like around 1 1/2 hour depending on the kind of meat but it will be tastier than meat cooked in pressure cooker.
- Once pulses are well soaked they will double in size. You can either cook them in pressure cooker by adding some salt and some more water. It will take around 20mins to cook fully. Or if you don’t have a pressure cooker you can cook them in a pot proceeding the same way as for pressure cooker.
- Boil the bulgur with the water in which it has been soak. Once the bulgur is cooked you will noticed that it has absorbed all the water and has become a bit translucent. Remove from Heat.
- In a large cooking pot put 3 tbsp cooking oil and add the whole cumin, cinnamon stick, cardamom pot, cloves, add the chopped onion cooked until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the meat and ginger garlic paste,some salt and pepper allow it cook for around 2mins.
- Now start adding the spices into the meat: the garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and Cook for further 5mins.
- After 5mins add the tomatoes puree and let it Cook for 5 more minutes
- in the meantime prepare the pulses some like To blend the pulses in a blender to make a puree and some like To put it just the Way after it has been cooked in pressure cooker. As for me I prefer To blend 3/4 and let the 1/4 remain like that.
- Now add the pulses and the cooked bulgur To the meat with 4 To 5 cups of water depending on how thick or thin you want it. Adjust the taste and let it cooked for 20-30mins.
- chopped some fresh coriander leaves and some fresh Spring onions
- when ready to serve pour in bowls sprinkle with fried onions, coriander and Spring onion.