Savory cake is so popular during parties. There are so many variations of them but my favorite is red pepper onion and cheese savory cake. Here is my version of doing it.
1 1/2 cup cake flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 egg beaten
75g melted butter
1/2 cup cheese of your choice
1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped and saute with 1 small chopped onion in 1 tbsp olive oil.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
Some black pepper
1. Grease a cake tin 25cm with butter and sprinkle with flour
2. Preheat oven 180°c
3. In a bowl mix milk, yogurt, melted butter, salt, pepper, egg.
4. Throw in the pepper,onion, paprika, Cheese. Mix well
5. Add in flour just mix until just combine. Do not overmix
6. Pour into the prepared mould and bake for 30-40mins
7. Serve as appetiser or during brunch
Homemade guacamole is healthier than the one you bought. You Know that you are adding only fresh Ingredients without any preservatives. On top of that It is so easy to make, requires little Ingredients. The key to a creamy guacamole is that The avocado should be ripe. Here I am not adding tomatoes but If you want feel free to add it
2 ripe avocados
A bunch ( around 10 stems with leaves) of cilantro.Note that If you don’t like cilantro just leave it.
3-4 green onions
2 green chillis
Salt to taste
Juice of half a lemon
1. Remove skin of avocados and mashed and immediately add in lemon juice
2. Chopped cilantro very finely
3. Chopped green onion very finely
4. Deseed chillis and chopped finely
5. Mix all Ingredients together, seasoned well with salt and pepper. You are ready to serve.
Garlic bread is undisputably delicious and making it with pizza dough is just awesome. The following recipe is very easy peasy with a pizza dough made from scratch.
For the pizza dough:
250grms all purpose flour sifted
1 packet 7grms dry instant yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 tsp of powdered garlic
1/4 tsp salt
For the garlic preparation :
2 cloves of garlic crushed or grated
2 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
Some dry oregano for sprinkle on top
1. Put water in a large bowl, add in sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 2-3mins
2. Add in the rest of the Ingredients for the pizza dough if you see that the water is not
enough add 2-3 tbsps additionnel lukewarm water.
3. Transfer the dough the counter surface knead for around 10mins until dough is soft
4. Grease a bowl transfer the dough to the bowl cover with a kitchen towel allow to rise
in a warm place for around 1hr or until double in size.
5. In the meantime preheat oven 200°c ( 400°f).
6. Once the dough has risen transfer to counter surface roll into an 8-10 inches circle.
7. Put on a baking tray Line with parchment paper
8. Mix the garlic and olive oil together, then brush on the pizza dough sprinkle with
some salt. Cut into strips of 3cmx6cm add cheese and sprinkle with oregano and
some garlic powder.
9. Bake for 15-20mins
10. Once the garlic bread comes out of the oven run your pizza wheel into the strips
again and serve as desired.
Here I am serving it with spicy olive oil.
Today I am going to share another Mauritian recipe, but this time its a snack which Ive grown up eating. Its “cheese stick” Known as “baguette fromage” in Mauritius. This snack is sold in small plastic bag in almost every shop. When I was a kid my mother didn’t like me buying that so often. Therefore, she decided To prepare it herself at home: a healthier version without any food preservatives. Ever since I moved to Europe I often prepare it. At times I use it as an appetiser with cream cheese dip or hummus.
250grms all purpose flour
125grms melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
100grms grated cheddar cheese
Water to make a soft but not sticky dough
Sunflower oil for trying.
- Mix all the dry Ingredients together
- Add butter mix well
- Add water slowly continue mixing To form a soft dough. Do not add too much water, the dough Will become sticky.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and allow it to rest for 30mins
- After 30mins remove the plastic wrap cut the dough into two roll each one 1/4 inch thick
- Cut the rolled out dough into strips of 5-6 cm long
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the cheese stick over medium heat until lightly golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel. Store in airtight container . Voilà so easy and yummy. Serve with any dipping sauce of your choice.
Samosa is an indian snack but it is now a very famous snack around the world, the best hing with samosa is that you can fill in anything you like, some people like mince paprika chicken with green or red pepper, some like mince meat with green peas, and others prefer samosa with cheese and spinach filling. It all depend on someone’s taste.
- 250grms mince meat
- 1 onion finely chopped
- some coriander leaves finely chopped
- some mint leaves finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1tsp of garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- Samosa strips(Iprefer to buy the samosa wraps it is easier to make the snack and more crispy)You can also buyspring rolls pastry then cut it in rectangular shape of 6-7cms width
- 2tbsp oil
- Take a large pan put the oil on very low heat, then add the meat and 1/4 of water , mix the mince meat with a wooden spoon without stopping to avoid the meat to cling together into lumps, keep stirring with the spoon,
- At the same time add the salt, pepper, red chilli, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, and turmeric.
- keep stirring with the wooden spoon
- Once the meat has started to cook then you can stop stirring since it won’t cling together, now let the meat cook on medium heat for around 15-20mins and let the water dry out,
- When the water has dru out reduce heat to low, add chopped onions and cook for another 3mins
- Turn off the heat, add chopped coriander and mint leaves mix well and reserve
- Put the pastry in a plate and cover with a damp cloth so that it does not dry out
- Take 3 tbsp of flour and mix with some water to form a heavy and sticky paste
- Now start to fill the samosa and at the end of the strip put some flour glued and turn it on the filled cone so that jellified and will not open when deep fried
- Deep fry and serve with chilli sauce
N:B Ive inserted a google image of how to fold the samosa wrap for those who don’t know the folding technicques