Semolina cake is a very ancient cake from my native country. It has longed been the favorite of our little family. It’s very easy delicious and reminds me of my childhood moments….
- 1 1/2 semolina (either the fine or the corse one)
- 1 1/2cup of self raising flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar ( note that if love it a bit sweeter then add another 1/4 cup sugar)
- 1 cup of full cream milk
- 150grams butter
- 2 large eggs/ 3 medium size
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Vanilla essence
- Cardamome powder
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Grease a baking tin and line with grease proof paper and spread some sesame seeds
- Preheat oven 180degree Celsius /350F
- In a large bowl add room temperature butter and whisk for 1mins
- Gradually put in sugar and keep on whisking until smooth
- Then add eggs one at a time keeping on whisking
- Add in milk and keep on whisking
- Sieve the flour and semolina and baking powder together
- On low speed fold in the flour and semolina just until combine, note that this should not be over beaten else the cake will be dense due to gluten development
- Add in vanilla and cardamom
- Fold in the baking pan spread some more sesame seeds on top
- Bake for 40-45 mins
- While pricking the middle with a wooden skewer it should come out dry
- Enjoy with green tea coffee or hot latte
Category Archives: Cakes, brownies, muffins, cupcakes
Pastry cream is one of the most preferred cream In France, it is used in many desserts especially fruit tarts. The recipe below is an easy recipe which you can use In tarts , choux , éclairs, sandwiching cake layers etc.
5 egg yolks
1 1/2 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornflour or custard powder
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1. In a heavy bottom saucepan pour milk and bring to boil over medium heat
2. In a bowl add In egg yolk, sugar, vanilla essence and cornflour, cream with a handwhisk or electric whisk until mixture whiten.
3. Pay attention to the milk, it only needs to come to a boiling point but it should not
boil. You Will Know that it has reached boiling point when you notice small bubbles
of air around the milk around saucepan border.
4. Gradually pour In the hot milk In a thin stream and keep on whisking at the same
time. This is to temper the egg.
5. Now return the mixture In the saucepan and place over the heat continue whisking
with a hand whisk.
6. When mixture starts to thicken keep on whisking making sure that your whisk is
touching the bottom of the pan.
7. After cream has thicken remove from heat whisk the unsalted butter and transfer
cream to a bowl covering with plastic wrap making sure it touches the cream to
prevent a skin from forming the cream.
8. Use as desired.
A Twist on The Classic banana bread , ” banana and dates bread with hazelnut “. This bread has always been a part of our morning dishes during Ramadan . It is very easy and quick to make. Its moist and very flavourful. Note that to achieve best result always take overripe bananas. This recipe is reduced In sugar because dates and bananas are already very sweet.
250grms plain flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
125grms butter at room temperature
Some chopped hazelnut
10dates chopped into small pieces
3 riped bananas mashed
1. Preheat oven 175°c
2. In a bowl sift In flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. In another bowl cream butter and sugar together until mixture whitened
3. Add In eggs and continue creaming until Well combined
4. Add In banana and dates, mix together
5. Add In flour and finally the chopped hazelnut . Mix until just combine . Do not
7. Pour In a greased tin sprinkle with some sesame seeds and bake for around 45-
250grms self raising flour
200grms butter at room temperature
1/4 cup sourcream
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
For the custard filling
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 small can thick nestle cream or 1 cup whipped double cream
1 cup Fresh coconut toasted
1. Grease a 24cm cake mould Line with parchment paper
2. Preheat oven 180°C
3. In a bowl add butter and whisk for 1 min with an electric mixer
4. Then add sugar and cream for 5-7mins until light and fluffy
5. Add in eggs one by one continue creaming
6. Add buttercream, vanilla and the fresh grated coconut mix everything well
7. Now add in flour in two batches mixing on low speed
8. Transfer the batter into the mould and bake for around 40mins or while pricking with a knife In the Middle it should come out clean.
9. Transfer the cake on a cooling rack and start preparing the pastry cream
10. PASTRY CREAM: In a saucepan heat coconut milk with vanilla essence
11. In a bowl cream egg yolks sugar and cornstarch
12. When the milk comes to boiling point remove from heat
13. Add a little to the egg mixture to temper it whisking quickly
14. Then add the rest of the milk whisking everything together.
15. Transfer the mixture to the saucepan. Cook whisking constantly until the cream thicken .
16. Remove from the saucepan transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic film touching the surface of the cream to prevent the formation of a skin. Allow to cool.
17. Put the canned nestle cream In the fridge for 10mins
18. Cut the cake into two layers
19. Once the pastry cream has cool down add In the cold nestle cream and whisk with an electric mixer until pastry cream is smooth
20. Now add half of the cream in one layer sprinkle some toasted coconut
21. Cover with the other layer
22. Add the rest of the cream on top smooth out with a spatula then sprinkle the rest of the coconut. Let sit for at least 30mins before serving.
Brownie is something that no one can refuse. Each chef has their own statement recipe for brownie. The following recipe is a moist brownie made of bitter sweet Chocolate and sour cream.
90grms all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
50grms pure Cocoa powder
125grms semi sweet chocolate melted
1/2 cup sour cream
85grms butter at room temperature.
1 tsp coffee extract
1. Grease a tin 8×8 inches ans sprinkle some flour and preheat oven 180°c
2. In a bowl sift flour Cocoa powder and baking powder together then add salt and
3. In another bowl beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy with a hand
4. Add eggs one at a time and keep on beating. Add vanilla extract.
5. Now add half of the flour mixture and mix at low speed then follow by half of the
sour cream. Proceed the same way for the rest of the flour mixture and sour cream.
6. Add in melted chocolate and just combine into the batter.
7. Pour the batter In the greased tin and bake for around 20mins. When pricking with a
knife, it should comes out clear without any batter on it, then you Know Its cooked.
8. Cut into squares sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve with strawberries or with ice-cream
or serve it alone. Happy cooking.
NOTE: if you want To make Nutella brownie just skip the bittersweet Chocolate and instead add 3 tbsp of Nutella. You can also add chocolate chips In the batter to make double chocolate brownie or you can add cherry, nuts, Orange zest. Anything you want.