During the Ramadan period one of the most famous food In my native country the Island of Mauritius is the ultimate mauritian naan. There are so many sellers which came to sell to people from door to door, we always eat a piece of it for Imsak(sehri). Here In Europe we get large varieties of naan but not our Mauritius one, especially from where we live. This has motivated me to start making my own. Therefore, I came up with a recipe which taste much like the origin one.
375grms white bread flour
375grms plain white flour
3 tbsp active dry yeast
30ml lukewarm milk
75grms melted butter
25grms melted clarified butter(ghee)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Dry seeds to spread on top
Optional: mince meat filling for keema naan
Grated cheese for cheese naan( preferably cheddar)
1. In a large bowl combine the two flours.
2. Add In salt and sugar. Mix Well
3. Add In yeast mix well
4. Make a Well In the center, add In melted butter, ghee, egg and milk.
5. Combine everything together if you feel that some more liquid is needed then add
some warm water very little at a time, so that you do not end up with a sticky dough.
6. Transfer the dough to your counter surface and knead for a good 10-12mins
7. You should end up with a soft ball.
8. Greased a bowl and transfer The dough .
9. Cover with a clean kitchen towel allow to rest In a warm place until double In size.
10. Once double In size divide into 4 equal parts
11. Roll each one into a rectangular shape and spread some room temperature butter all over
12. Roll into a rope and make a spiral shape.
13. Note that for cheese or keema naan , once you spread the butter , sprinkle with cheese or
meat before rolling.
14. Allow to rise for further 30mins then brush with eggwash( 1 egg yolk with some milk)
sprinkle sesame seeds poppyseeds etc.
15. Bake In preheated oven 200°c for 20mins.
16. Once out of the oven brush with melted butter and serve.
A Twist on The Classic banana bread , ” banana and dates bread with hazelnut “. This bread has always been a part of our morning dishes during Ramadan . It is very easy and quick to make. Its moist and very flavourful. Note that to achieve best result always take overripe bananas. This recipe is reduced In sugar because dates and bananas are already very sweet.
250grms plain flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
125grms butter at room temperature
Some chopped hazelnut
10dates chopped into small pieces
3 riped bananas mashed
1. Preheat oven 175°c
2. In a bowl sift In flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. In another bowl cream butter and sugar together until mixture whitened
3. Add In eggs and continue creaming until Well combined
4. Add In banana and dates, mix together
5. Add In flour and finally the chopped hazelnut . Mix until just combine . Do not
7. Pour In a greased tin sprinkle with some sesame seeds and bake for around 45-
Batbout is a moroccan bread which is cooked on The stove. It is very easy to prepare and there are so many different recipes out there. Some people make small batbout then opening it like a pocket and fill with any desired fillings like for example chicken , tuna fish, etc . The following recipe is a basic one. Then from this one you can makes different kind of batbout and fillings.
150grms plain flour
100grms fine semolina
1 Level tbsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
100grms melted butter
Lukewarm water to make a non sticky dough
1. In a bowl combine flour, semolina, salt and sugar.
2. Add In the yeast and combine
3. Add In the melted butter and mix Well
4. Now gradually add In the lukewarm water little by little until everything comes
together In a soft but non sticky dough.
5. Transfer the dough on your counter surface knead for at least 10mins.
6. Transfer back In the bowl brush the surface with some water, cover with a kitchen
towel , allow to rise In a warm place at least one hour.
7. After one hour has elapsed, spread some semolina on your counter surface. Divide
the dough into 2 balls.
8. Using a rolling pin roll dough two sides over the semolina around 1/2 inch thick.
9. Cover ans allow to rise again for at least 20mins.
10. Heat a skillet , Cook the batbout 4-5mins on each sides .
11. Serve with butter, jam, honey, etc. Or it can Also accompany your savory dishes.
Savory cake is so popular during parties. There are so many variations of them but my favorite is red pepper onion and cheese savory cake. Here is my version of doing it.
1 1/2 cup cake flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 egg beaten
75g melted butter
1/2 cup cheese of your choice
1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped and saute with 1 small chopped onion in 1 tbsp olive oil.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
Some black pepper
1. Grease a cake tin 25cm with butter and sprinkle with flour
2. Preheat oven 180°c
3. In a bowl mix milk, yogurt, melted butter, salt, pepper, egg.
4. Throw in the pepper,onion, paprika, Cheese. Mix well
5. Add in flour just mix until just combine. Do not overmix
6. Pour into the prepared mould and bake for 30-40mins
7. Serve as appetiser or during brunch
This recipe is the Turkish easter bread , it’s my way of doing it since I have brought some changes to it. Like for example many original recipe calls for ground mahlep or mahlepi but here Ive used dry fruits peel and black currants. The rest is mostly The same. Its so delicious fills your home with delicious aroma.
250grms sifted all purpose flour
1 packet of instant dry yeast
50grms melted butter
1 egg+ 1 yolk for glazing
2 tbsp dry fruits peels and black currants
2 tbsp milk powder( optional)
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/4 cup sugar.
1. In a large bowl add milk sprinkle yeast over with some sugar allow to sit for 2-3mins
2. Add The rest of Ingredients.
3. Mix everything together to form a very soft dough, If you find that the mixture is not coming together then add a little bit of lukewarm milk.
4. Knead the dough for 3-5mins.
5. Put back into the bowl allow brush with some oil. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for one hour or until double in size.
6. Transfer to your counter surface. Cut dough into 3 parts.
7. Roll into 3 strings Seal the top together and braid the strings, then Seal the end.
8. Transfer to your baking tray line up with parchment paper
9. Allow to proof for another 45mins
10. In the meantime preheat oven 180°C /350°F
11. Once dough has risen brush with the egg yolk
12. Bake for 20-25mins
13. Once removed from the oven allow to cool down 20mins before slicing.
14. Serve with butter , jam or honey
15. Or drizzle some vanilla glaze.
Ive made pizza at home ever since I was in college. With years passed I tried many recipes but I never got the result like We get in restaurant using the tradition wood and stone toven but with time Ive started To understand that before baking the pizza you should preheat your oven To very high temperature like 250°C for at least 45mins with a pizza stone or tray inside then when you bake it you reduce the Heat To 200°C then you Will get the closest result well crisp bottom fluffy inside . For me the best result is using half white bread flour and half all purpose flour. Now of course you can use only all purpose flour
250grms all purpose flour
250grms bread flour
2 packet of instant yeast
1 cup. Lukewarm milk
1/4 cup lukewarm water
4 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1. Sift both flours together with salt
2. In a large bowl add In water, milk sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 5mins
3. Add in olive oil followed by flour. Mix everything together. Note that depending on flours you might need a little more lukewarm water but be careful do not add too much.
4. Transfer the mixture To your counter surface and knead for a good 10mins until dough is soft and elastic.
5. Put the dough into a greased bowl cover with a clean kitchen towel allow To rise for one hour or until dough double in size.
6. I use this amount of dough to make two large pizzas.
7. Once dough has risen deflate cut into two. Using fine semolina on your counter stretch the dough into a round shape with your hands.
8. Start To put your tomato sauce and your mozzarella with any topping you want
9. Keep In a warm place. In the meantime preheat oven 250°C with an inverted tray or pizza stone inside for at least 30mins
10. Flip the pizza over the hot tray, reduce Heat To 200-190°C bake for 15-20mins
11. Here I am serving it with my homemade pizza oil and homemade Green chilli paste. Note that the tomato sauce I used is also homemade.