Batbout is a moroccan bread which is cooked on The stove. It is very easy to prepare and there are so many different recipes out there. Some people make small batbout then opening it like a pocket and fill with any desired fillings like for example chicken , tuna fish, etc . The following recipe is a basic one. Then from this one you can makes different kind of batbout and fillings.
150grms plain flour
100grms fine semolina
1 Level tbsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
100grms melted butter
Lukewarm water to make a non sticky dough
1. In a bowl combine flour, semolina, salt and sugar.
2. Add In the yeast and combine
3. Add In the melted butter and mix Well
4. Now gradually add In the lukewarm water little by little until everything comes
together In a soft but non sticky dough.
5. Transfer the dough on your counter surface knead for at least 10mins.
6. Transfer back In the bowl brush the surface with some water, cover with a kitchen
towel , allow to rise In a warm place at least one hour.
7. After one hour has elapsed, spread some semolina on your counter surface. Divide
the dough into 2 balls.
8. Using a rolling pin roll dough two sides over the semolina around 1/2 inch thick.
9. Cover ans allow to rise again for at least 20mins.
10. Heat a skillet , Cook the batbout 4-5mins on each sides .
11. Serve with butter, jam, honey, etc. Or it can Also accompany your savory dishes.
Tajine is one of the Arabs’ favorite food. There are thousand of recipe in the arabic countries. Each countries put different Ingredients, different spices but still all the tajines are delicious. Besides, tajine is a good way to eat vegetables, since many recipes have many veggies in them. Many prefer to make meat tajine with lamb but in the following recipe I am using veal. Also you do not have to use the same veggies as Ive put in the recipe, you can use veggies you have on hand like brocolis, peas, olive, cauliflower. The following recipe is one which I make often, its like a basic one. Later on I Will share other tajine recipes on my blog.
1kg of veal with bones
1 red bell pepper
2 small potatoes
1 chopped onion
3 chopped cloves of garlic
5 tbsp tomato puree
Spices: 1 tsp cumin powder, 2 tbsp raz el hanout, 1 tbsp red couscous spice, 1/2 tsp ginger powder
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the veal into medium size pieces.
- Wash the pieces and put them in a cooking pot, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, the chopped onion and garlic. Add some salt and pepper.
- Cover the meat with water and let it cook slowly for about 1hr. Cover the pot after 5mins( note that here I don’t suggest using pressure cooker, the meat dries out, whereas, for tajine the meat should be very soft and juicy, to achieve this result you should let it Cook slowly in a covered pot).
- In the meantime, prepare the veggies, wash them and cut into large chunks, note that you shouldn’t remove the pumpkin’s skin. Skin should be removed only for turnip, carrots and potatoes.
- Once the meat is cooked and the water has dry out add the spices, the veggies and the tomato puree. Now add enough water to cover all the veggies. Cover the pot and let the tajine cook for further 45mins until all the veggies are cooked but still hold their shapes. Adjust the taste if you need to. Turn off the Heat.
- Serve with couscous and harissa or any hot sauce for those who like spicy food.