The following recipe is a vegetable pickle which originates From my native country, the Island of Mauritian. This is a hit for almost every main course served in Mauritius. The following one is my mother’s authentic recipe. The only change I brought to it is the olive oil. But if you want to use sunflower oil or any vegetable oil you are free to. It is very easy to prepare and taste so good.
Half a cabbage shreaded
2 big or 3 medium carrots peeled and julienned
200grms green bean sliced thinly
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 & 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
1/2 cup of extra Virgin olive oil, or grape seed oil ( or any vegetable oil you have on hand)
Green chillis cut into small pieces (optional)
1. Fill a cooking pot with water and some salt and put on high heat allow to boil.
2. Once the water is boiling turn off the heat and throw In the veggies.
3. Let the veggies soak in the hot water for 2-3mins. Then immediately after that transfer them in a sieve and let cold tap water run over them to stop the cooking process.
4. Cover a large tray with a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze with your hand little by little all the water from the veggies and spread them on the tray over the kitchen towel. Allow them to completely dry out for at least 3 hours.
5. After 3 hours,in another bowl( preferably a steel one so that it does not stain when adding turmeric) add turmeric, mustard, garlic and oil. Mix Well and throw in the veggies and keep on mixing by adding salt at the same time to taste.
6. Add the green chillis and mix well.
7. Keep In the refrigerator in an airtight container.
8. This pickle can be eaten on bread, with rice dishes, flat bread, naan etc etc.