Pastry cream is one of the most preferred cream In France, it is used in many desserts especially fruit tarts. The recipe below is an easy recipe which you can use In tarts , choux , éclairs, sandwiching cake layers etc.
5 egg yolks
1 1/2 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornflour or custard powder
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1. In a heavy bottom saucepan pour milk and bring to boil over medium heat
2. In a bowl add In egg yolk, sugar, vanilla essence and cornflour, cream with a handwhisk or electric whisk until mixture whiten.
3. Pay attention to the milk, it only needs to come to a boiling point but it should not
boil. You Will Know that it has reached boiling point when you notice small bubbles
of air around the milk around saucepan border.
4. Gradually pour In the hot milk In a thin stream and keep on whisking at the same
time. This is to temper the egg.
5. Now return the mixture In the saucepan and place over the heat continue whisking
with a hand whisk.
6. When mixture starts to thicken keep on whisking making sure that your whisk is
touching the bottom of the pan.
7. After cream has thicken remove from heat whisk the unsalted butter and transfer
cream to a bowl covering with plastic wrap making sure it touches the cream to
prevent a skin from forming the cream.
8. Use as desired.