During the Ramadan period one of the most famous food In my native country the Island of Mauritius is the ultimate mauritian naan. There are so many sellers which came to sell to people from door to door, we always eat a piece of it for Imsak(sehri). Here In Europe we get large varieties of naan but not our Mauritius one, especially from where we live. This has motivated me to start making my own. Therefore, I came up with a recipe which taste much like the origin one.
375grms white bread flour
375grms plain white flour
3 tbsp active dry yeast
30ml lukewarm milk
75grms melted butter
25grms melted clarified butter(ghee)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Dry seeds to spread on top
Optional: mince meat filling for keema naan
Grated cheese for cheese naan( preferably cheddar)
1. In a large bowl combine the two flours.
2. Add In salt and sugar. Mix Well
3. Add In yeast mix well
4. Make a Well In the center, add In melted butter, ghee, egg and milk.
5. Combine everything together if you feel that some more liquid is needed then add
some warm water very little at a time, so that you do not end up with a sticky dough.
6. Transfer the dough to your counter surface and knead for a good 10-12mins
7. You should end up with a soft ball.
8. Greased a bowl and transfer The dough .
9. Cover with a clean kitchen towel allow to rest In a warm place until double In size.
10. Once double In size divide into 4 equal parts
11. Roll each one into a rectangular shape and spread some room temperature butter all over
12. Roll into a rope and make a spiral shape.
13. Note that for cheese or keema naan , once you spread the butter , sprinkle with cheese or
meat before rolling.
14. Allow to rise for further 30mins then brush with eggwash( 1 egg yolk with some milk)
sprinkle sesame seeds poppyseeds etc.
15. Bake In preheated oven 200°c for 20mins.
16. Once out of the oven brush with melted butter and serve.
A Twist on The Classic banana bread , ” banana and dates bread with hazelnut “. This bread has always been a part of our morning dishes during Ramadan . It is very easy and quick to make. Its moist and very flavourful. Note that to achieve best result always take overripe bananas. This recipe is reduced In sugar because dates and bananas are already very sweet.
250grms plain flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
125grms butter at room temperature
Some chopped hazelnut
10dates chopped into small pieces
3 riped bananas mashed
1. Preheat oven 175°c
2. In a bowl sift In flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. In another bowl cream butter and sugar together until mixture whitened
3. Add In eggs and continue creaming until Well combined
4. Add In banana and dates, mix together
5. Add In flour and finally the chopped hazelnut . Mix until just combine . Do not
7. Pour In a greased tin sprinkle with some sesame seeds and bake for around 45-
Batbout is a moroccan bread which is cooked on The stove. It is very easy to prepare and there are so many different recipes out there. Some people make small batbout then opening it like a pocket and fill with any desired fillings like for example chicken , tuna fish, etc . The following recipe is a basic one. Then from this one you can makes different kind of batbout and fillings.
150grms plain flour
100grms fine semolina
1 Level tbsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
100grms melted butter
Lukewarm water to make a non sticky dough
1. In a bowl combine flour, semolina, salt and sugar.
2. Add In the yeast and combine
3. Add In the melted butter and mix Well
4. Now gradually add In the lukewarm water little by little until everything comes
together In a soft but non sticky dough.
5. Transfer the dough on your counter surface knead for at least 10mins.
6. Transfer back In the bowl brush the surface with some water, cover with a kitchen
towel , allow to rise In a warm place at least one hour.
7. After one hour has elapsed, spread some semolina on your counter surface. Divide
the dough into 2 balls.
8. Using a rolling pin roll dough two sides over the semolina around 1/2 inch thick.
9. Cover ans allow to rise again for at least 20mins.
10. Heat a skillet , Cook the batbout 4-5mins on each sides .
11. Serve with butter, jam, honey, etc. Or it can Also accompany your savory dishes.