Today’s recipe is an indian sweet “carrot halwa” I am going to make it the Way my mother prepares it, since I am not from India Maybe the recipe Will not be totally the same. Its mostly a Mauritian recipe.
1 kg grated carrots
1 1/4 L full cream milk
1 canned of sweet condense milk
2 cinnamon sticks
3 cardamom pods
1 tsp cardamom powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of nutmeg
2 tbsp ghee ( clarified butter)
Pistachio, almond, hazelnut or any nuts you want to decorate
1. Put the carrots in a heavy bottom pan together with the 1 1/4 litre of milk with
cardamom pods, nutmeg and cinnamon sticks and allow to boil on high heat for 20mins or
until carrots soften and starts to reduce stirring each 10mins.
2. Reduce heat to medium and continue to Cook.
3. After around 15 more minutes of cooking add the sweet condense milk stir and
continue to cook stirring constantly until all liquid evaporate. Taste it. If you want it
sweeter then add some sugar. Keep on cooking.
4. Add the ghee and keep stirring.
5. The halwa is done when completely dries out. Switch off the heat. Add the
cardamom powder and nuts mix well. Serve hot or cold.