Viennois bread is the soft, sweet and utterly delicious bread that no one can refuse. Not to mention it is my hubby’s favorite bread. Now we do not really need to take out our stand mixture to make this bread. We can absolutely do it from scratch.
500grms of white bread flour ( if you have only plain flour on hands this Will work absolutely fine because this Time I also made it out of plain flour and it was really a hit)
2 packtets of instant dry yeast or 14 grms( if using fresh yeast then 30grms)
315 lukewarm full cream milk( for this recipe make sure you use full cream milk to achieve the best result)
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp of salt
50grms butter at room temperature
1 egg yolk beated with 2 tbsp of milk
1. Combine flour and salt
2. In a large bowl put the lukewarm milk sprinkle over sugar and yeast. Let it rest for 1
minute for the yeast to dissolve.
3. After 1 minute take a spoon and mix the milk yeast mixture well.
4. Add in the flour and just combine everything together.
5. Transfer the crumble mixture to your counter top. Add in the soften butter and start
to knead the dough with your hands.
6. At first you will see that the dough is sticky, don’t be tempted to add flour because
the amount of yeast you put is just for 500grams of flour. If you add flour then your
dough might not rise.
7. After around 10-12mins of kneading you will see that the dough is no more sticky.
8. Place the dough in a greased bowl cover it with a kitchen towel and let it rise for
around 45mins or until double in size in a warm place.
9. After the dough has risen deflate it put it over your counter top cut it into 6 portions
roll into balls
9. Take each ball flatten with the Palm of your hand into a rectangular shape. Roll from
outside to inside to shape a rope.
10. Put the rope on your baking tray one very far from the other to prevent them from
sticking together while baking.
11. Make slits on the rope with a very Sharp knife and brush with egg and milk mixture
12. Allow to proof in a warm place for another 45mins
13. In the meantime preheat oven 200°c ( 400°F)
14. Bake for 15mins.