Scottish shortbread is one of the most mouth melting cookie. It is my favorite cookie. But nowadays those being sold on the market do not really do justice to this particular cookie. The following recipe is so simple and easy. Its buttery and so delicious; out of this world. You will need only 3 main Ingredients for this shortbread
1 cup of butter (227grms) at room temperature
2 cups of all purpose flour (250grms)
1 cup of confectioners sugar (125grms)
- In a large bowl put your butter and whisk with an electric hand whisk for 1min. If you do not have electric hand whisk you can use a normal hand whisk.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and cream until mixture becomes light and fluffy
- Add the vanilla essence and cream for further 1min then fold in sifted flour and mix until just combine.
- At this stage the mixture will be very soft, transfer it to cling film, wrap it and refrigerate for around 20mins.
- Preheat oven 150°c (300°F).
- Cut a large piece of parchment paper and put on your counter, remove the dough from the refrigerator take away the cling film and place the dough on the parchment paper.
- Roll with a rolling pin until ½ inch thick.
- Then cut the dough with a pastry scraper or a knife to make rectangular shortbread and pierce each one with fork to help the cookies to bake evenly
Now lift the parchment with the cut out cookies and put it on your baking tray. Here I chose to prepare the cookies on the parchment before placing it on the tray since this technique help me rolling the dough evenly and cutting it more easily.
- Bake for around 20-25mins until lightly golden brown.
- Once cookies are out of the oven immediately run your knife through them again on the same cut out lines and let them cool completely. Serve with milk , coffee, etc.