Tandoori chicken is a famous Mughlai dish which has now gained popularity around India and also around the World. It is a chicken marinated with yogurt and red spices, some people like to make it a very hot spicy dish but here I have not added any chilli powder to the marinate , instead i’ve made the raita quite hot and spicy. The dish was super tasty,
- 1 whole chicken with skin washed and trim any unwanted fats (if you do not like it with skin remove it but the skin will make the chicken tender and very smooth)
for the marinate
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 lemon
- 1yogurt pot
- salt and pepper as per your taste
- 1 tbsp of PATAK TANDOORI MASALA(optional)
- 2tbsp of tandoori spices( If you do not have the patak tandoori masala then add 3 tbsp of tandoori spices instead of 2)
- 1 onion chopped very finely
- some coriander or parsley leaves chopped very finely
- 3 tbsp of melted butter or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of cumim powder
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
Prepare the marinate in a bowl by mixing the above ingredients together, rub the mariante all over the chicken, inside, outside under the skin. Put the chicken in a large bwl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap, let the chicken marinate for 6-7 hours, but still overnight is best.
Now fo the sweet and sour raita:
- 1 pot of yogurt
- some finely chopped coriander leaves
- some finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- pinch of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of sugar ( if after tasting more sugar is needed , then add some more)
- salt as per your taste
- Put the yogurt in a bowl and slowly whisk it with a hand whisk to make it creamy-like
- Add the rest of the ingrdients and mix well
- Cover and reserve in refrigerator.
Preparing the chicken for roasting:
- Chop 1 onion, some garlic, and 3 tomatoes( remove seeds) roughtly arrange on the roasting dish and drizzle with olive oil and some lemon juice.
- Tie the legs of the chicken with cotton thread or with some twine,
- Put the chicken breast-side down on the veggie bed(if any mariante left pour some on the veggies and keep some) , let it rest for 30mins so that it comes to room temperature.
- In the meantime preheat the oven 200 C,
- After 30mins put the chicken into the hot oven and bake for around 35-40mins
- After 40mins remove the chicken and turn the breast side up, spread the rest of the marinate(if any left, else nevermind) over the breast of the chicken and bake for around 30-35mins
- Serve the chicken with green salads, the raita and any side dishe of your taste.